To help control bleeding bite firmly on the gauze placed by your dentist. The pressure helps to form a blood clot in the tooth socket. Change If you have a lot of bleeding, bite on a regular tea bag. Bite on the gauze or a cold wet tea bag (lipton) until the bleeding stops. Slight oozing of blood is normal within the first 24-48 hours after the extraction.
To reduce swelling after the extraction, place ice pack (frozen pea/corn bag works well too) of the side where extraction was on/off 10 minutes at the time.
Get enough rest
Limit activities for the first 24 hrs after the extraction. Don’t lift anything heavy. Rest during the day and go to bed early. When lying down, slightly elevate your head.
Do eat cooled, soft and healthy diet, especially rich in protein. Drinking plenty of fresh juices will help the body recuperate well and give you energy. Vitamin C supplements are beneficial.
- Avoid spicy foods and foods that need excessive chewing.
- Keep your mouth clean by brushing your teeth gently.
- Start rinsing with salt warm water ONLY 24 hrs after extraction.
- Keep your tongue away from the extraction site, DO NOT play with sutures!
- Don’t use the straw.
- Don’t spit out.
- Don’t rinse for the first 24 hrs after extraction.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t drink hot liquids.
- Don’t swish.
Call Dr Aver 847-998-5100 if:
- Pain becomes very severe.
- Bleeding is hard to control.
- Develop any allergic reactions/itching/rash to the medication you were prescribed.
- Swelling gets worse.
Homeopathic remedies to help:
- Minimize pain, bleeding and swelling- Arnica Montana 9C or 30 C- take 3 pellets under tongue every hour 15 min before or after food/drink for the first 3-4 hrs, then, 3 pellets 3-4 times a day for few days.
- For extraction pain and healing, alternating Arnica Montana 30C, Ruta Graveolens 30C and Rhus tox 30C for the first few days helps avoid painkillers. Alternate frequently as long as the remedies are definitely helping and less frequently as it improves.
- If risk of any infection is being present then also use Pyrogen 30C , 3 pellets 3-4 times a day.
- If the bleeding is very profuse, take Phosphorus 30C- 3 pell 3 times a day.
- If pain is at the site where the injection was, take Ledum Palustre 30 C- 3 pell three times a day.
- For the pain you experience after any of your teeth have been extracted, Hypericum30C- is a nerve remedy and all pain is felt via the nerves. Take 3 pellets 4 times a day as needed for pain.
Calendula is the herbal extract from marigolds and has been used medicinally for centuries . It heals the soft tissue, relieving bleeding gums, mouth ulcers, herpes lesions and dry sockets after extractions. It can be used as a mouth rinse or on the gause.
Take Probiotic of gut bacteria to ensure great food absorption during healing.
Taking Dental Probiotic also helps supplying healthy bacteria to the mouth flora.